Friday, January 14, 2011

Yesterday we worked on demolishing a ceiling of a house. It was a pretty fun task for me and hopefully we were of a lot of help to someone. Coming to New Orleans without any kind of background in construction was certainly a bit of a challenge, however, I come out of it with a love for power tools and demolition!

The house we were working on was very much affected by Hurricane Katrina as demonstrated by the markings where the water hit. Initially, basically the entire house was submerged in water and it eventually settled to having water up to the top of the door. I wish I could see the final product after all the renovations take place. Hopefully it will become a place where the homeowner can once again feel secure, safe and, above all, happy.

Today, I was at a different site. I mainly focused on painting the ceiling. It was an interesting experience for me because before NOLA, I never thought I would be the one to climb to such great heights but I have been volunteering myself to work on ladders almost every single day since we have been here. I spent the bulk of my day on a 12 ft ladder. I feel as though this has been a trip where I've learned a lot, not only about the area, construction and community service, but about myself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment