Friday, January 14, 2011

Leaving New Orleans

Friday, January 14, 2010

Unfortunately, due to prior commitments, I had to leave New Orleans a little bit early. So now I sit in the airport waiting for my flight but desperately wanting to be back at the United Saints with the rest of the group!

As I was walking out of the apartments, suitcase in hand, kayla and I turned and looked at each other. We paused for a moment waiting to see who would say it first. We both then blurted out "Do you want to move down here with me and just do this all the time?" As we walked down the stairs, through the church and out to the van we talked about how amazing it would be and started planning. With big smiles on our faces, we decided were going to make this happen!

Looking back on this week it is hard to find the right words to describe my experience. Seeing all the devastation still present 5 years after the storm was a jaw dropping experience for me. While sitting in the van during the driving tour of the 9th ward, I found my self staring in awe of how little has been done. Hearing stories about people hiring contractors who stole their money or being fined for not being able to keep up with their property broke my heart. Additionally, I am still hung up on seeing the X's on the houses. For one reason, in the top of the X was date in which the house was searched. It was upsetting to see that some of the house had not been checked until weeks after the storm hit! Another shocking sight was seeing the Xs, consisting of the number of bodies found, on house that were completely renovated. To me, the gruesome markings seem to cast a dark shadow on the neighborhood, but to the people who lived there, it represent everything they've gone through, all they have accomplished and how strong they have become because of it all.

I hope that with the help of organizations like the United Saints and volunteers like all us NOLA can be completely restored! The natives are by far the most passionate and grateful people I've ever met and they deserve all the help they can get!

Lastly, the friendships I've created on this trip are incomparable! By doing this service I've had the opportunity to form incredible bonds with incredible people. I'm looking forward to spending more time with everyone back on campus and continuing to go on service trips, whether that means chaperoning or planning our own! I am lucky to be able to surround my self with great friends while doing something I love! While preforming service is in and of its self a rewarding experience, it was truly enriched by the company with whom I shared the experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment