Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Helping Build a Home!

Today, I traveled to a new site. (The group I traveled in consisted of John, Courtney, and Kevin who are from Ameri Corps, and Erica, Gary, Roger,and Randy, who are with TCNJ's Bonners.) Previously, I was working on the mural, but today I went to Mr.Booker's house. The moment I got there, my nerves was jumping because I was excited to help make an impact in someone's life, by fixing their house. Prior to this I have never done any construction work, so this was all new to me. Immediatley, I got a crash course on how to safely use the ladder and many other tatics. Even though I was a little bit afraid to climb really high on the ladder, I took the chance and before I knew it I was traveling up and down 3 stories high with no fear.

Also, for the first time in my life I use a saw to cut a lot of two by four and four by four blocks of wood, which was used to help build the scaffold. After constructing a new portion of the scaffold with my group, we then went on to taking out all of the old nail's on the side of the house. We also put tarf to cover it. I really enjoyed working on Booker's house and I can't wait to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment