Friday, January 7, 2011

New Orleans!

This morning I embark on my first trip to New Orleans. I have always wanted to visit NOLA and I can not think of a better way to dive into the culture, the history or the stories of real people than to go to help rebuild this historical city. As a Bonner Scholar in Trenton, I work with Habitat for Humanity Trenton Area to build affordable housing for low-income families of East Trenton. Being on this team has provided me with an insight to understanding the amount of time, resources and overall man power it takes to build a single home. It takes almost an entire year to build a Habitat home, but driving down North Clinton Avenue, seeing twenty Habitat homes on this one street, I know it is a neighborhood full of pride, support and hope; unlike any other in Trenton. Although I did not personally volunteer at these homes I feel a great sense of pride knowing we are bringing change to Trenton one nail at a time. Now as I make my way down to New Orleans, I hope to help the citizens of New Orleans rebuild their own city. Though I will not be there long enough to see a new home be build start to finish like in Trenton, I hope the work I will do in the next week will help to bring them closer to their own “North Clinton Avenue,” even if it is one nail at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment