Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cultivation to the Mind…and Stomach.

January 11th, 2011,

Today was the second and surprisingly the most tiring day I have experienced yet on this trip. Although I was exhausted, it was a very productive day overall. I continued to work on A. Booker’s house and continued to build more scaffold with my team. Mr. Booker was not with us today but our team leader John told us what we needed to accomplish in order to help build the house. We helped reinforce the scaffold by nailing different parts of the wood to help us reach higher levels on the scaffold that we were beginning to reconstruct. Although it was a very chilly experience due to the weather, our team continued strong and was able to make some progress.

What was different about today was that I had “Dinner Duty” and so I had to leave my site earlier than required. I was fortunate to cook along side with Ashley Hunt, Shaun Field, Roger Barrett, and the interesting and quirky chef Chris. We cooked Coconut Chicken Curry and Rice and Beef stew for the forty-nine volunteers that came down for the week. I was tired enough by working in my site and I expected the kitchen to be a little easier but surprisingly there was a lot of work involved in cooking. Overall the food was great and I believed the kitchen crew did a fine job in providing some quality food for the volunteers.

I am amazed at how much work there needs to be in many different sites; just the kitchen alone requires some heavy help. It was an eye-opening experience for me because I learned how impacting effective teamwork can be. From my site at Mr. Booker’s to working “Dinner Duty” with Chris, I realized that all of us can make great results whether it is finishing up certain parts of a scaffold or serving up a well-cooked meal. I hope that each day brings greater results and greater bonding moments not with just other TCNJ Bonner Students but the rest of the volunteers that are staying for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment