Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/13/2011...I am blogging for yesterday and today. Yesterday was very productive and I learned a lot. I worked on the Booker site and used a hammer and nail gun for the first time. Unfortunately my hammering skills are very poor, to say the least. However, I got to work with Erika, Gary, Randy, Roger and Nicole and we all worked very well as a team.

Right before dinner, however, I came in contact with an 18 year old New Orleans resident who experienced Katrina. He is in the church everyday because he works for the pastor and he is always looking to spark up a conversation. He expressed his feelings to me about how many of the residents believe that the levees broke on purpose. In 1925 the government blew up the levees to flood the lower 9th ward in order to protect the rich sections. Many New Orleans citizens believe that the levees were made to sink when the water pressure reached to a certain point on purpose. This came as a shock to me because he was very "on edge" when talking about this subject with me. I would like to explore this theory further on my own time.

Finally, I was able to witness fist hand the impact that Bonner is having on the local citizens of New Orleans. All of the home owners are very grateful and involved in our projects. Everyone is so welcoming here and the culture is like no other. I have come to fall in love with New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment