Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hump day.

Wednesday is traditionally known as "hump day" as it is the middle day of a work week and exhaustion can sometimes catch you off guard. I feel like it is safe to say I made it over the hump and into the second part of the work week. This second part, although it may be tough due to fatigue, will be the best part because we all will be able to see the immediate impact we have made on the community.
Today, I worked with Alaine and Americorps NCCC member John to fix up the rotted floor in the church we are using as our common space. For us, hump day posed no threat. The day was a solid work day and Alaine and I worked hard together to help John put down all but the tiles of a new floor. It is a little different than working on a house because you are missing that sense of ownership from an on-looking or helping homeowner, however at the end of the day when you see the final result you can only be happy.
It was also a great day for me because I was able to transfer my building knowledge to Alaine and help her learn some new skills, and like most build days for me, I also learned from John and picked up some new skills and habits (the most important thing about a build day to me). I am pleased with the job that we accomplished today and look forward to what ever the next two days have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment