Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"I'm going back into action," the words by the courageous Kate as she put her hard hat on. Similar to her, my group members were all ready to brave our site. My site was at a man name Booker's house that had wind-damage from Katrina. We were pulling down the siding and building scaffold to be able to get up as high as 30ft in the air. Majority of the people at my site, including myself, were new to doing any kind of construction. The home owner, Booker, worked side-by-side with us, teaching us as we go. I was not even sure how to properly pull out nails, but he showed me how.

After the work day, I met a native to New Orleans. He was a recent high school graduate that comes to the church, that we stay near, and hang out. While having a conversation with him, he mentioned the constant violence that they had here in New Orleans. He loved the city, but wanted to venture out as soon as he could. It was nice to hear that he had high hopes regardless of his circumstances. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to speak to more New Orleans natives.

No comments:

Post a Comment