Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On the Second day of NOLA

TIME IS FLYING! Being in NOLA, I have become more and more anxious to help make a difference. As I am being exposed to the city, my empathy for the people here continues to grow. Although I may not be able to completely feel what they have been through, I can empathize with them and bring to them encouragement and hope, that maybe one day they will have their city back. Yesterday, I worked in the kitchen for majority of the day. At first, I really did not want to do kitchen work, because I wanted to be out reconstructing houses and lives of New Orleans natives. However, a little kitchen job turned into something much more meaningful. Despite the fact that I learned how to make enough rice to feed a hundred people ( after a few mess ups) and learned how to dice a group of vegetables NOLA Natives call "the trinity" ( which is celery, onions, and bell peppers) I also was able to speak to a teenager from the church. Jasean, was an evacuee during the storm, who luckily was staying in an area of the city that did not experience flooding. During the period of time of him being away from the city, he expressed that he never wanted to come back to New Orleans. Jasean was originally from a broken area of the city, so he said that a lot of times he did not feel safe in his city. On the other hand, as he went through YOUTUBE to introduce us to some New Orleans traditions and dances, his eyes had a glow and his smile was huge. He loved his city. Even though there may have been some struggles, he had to come back. One thing Jasean told us was that he heard and believed rumors that the government never wanted New Orleans to be revived. Which hurt him in many different ways. Above all, I learned a lot from the conversation I had with Jasean in such a short amount of time and I am looking forward to talking with more people from New Orleans.

PS. I having so much fun here! I do not want to leave !

No comments:

Post a Comment