Thursday, January 20, 2011

Some Final Thoughts

It's been almost a week since we've been back from New Orleans and I've had some time to reflect about our trip. First of all I would like to thank the Bonner staff for giving me the opportunity to go to New Orleans and to have an amazing experience there; I very much appreciate all the hard work that was put into planning this trip.

Looking back on our trip I feel that I have learned a lot about New Orleans. I am much more educated about Katrina and the many hardships that residents had to endure during and after the hurricane. Visiting the lower ninth was an experience that I will never forget. A simple drive through the neighborhood indicates (even 5 1/2 years later) how devastating the destruction was. The X's that rescue groups used to indicate that a house had been checked are still visible on numerous houses and it makes what occurred more of a reality.

Although we witnessed how devastating Katrina was, we also experienced how hopeful, energetic, and spirited the people of New Orleans are. I realized how passionate and determined people are to rebuild New Orleans and it made me feel happy because New Orleans is truly a great city.

All in all, I had a great time in New Orleans and I hope to go back soon because there is still a lot of work to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment