Friday, January 7, 2011

I am about to depart for TCNJ to meet up with Bonner for the 2011 New Orleans trip. Upon watching When the Leeves Broke by Spike Lee, I realized just how far behind the United States is in helping its own people. For some reason, the Haiti kept popping up in my mind when watching this film. Haiti was a terrible disaster that affected thousands of people abroad. On almost every single stations, there were celebrities and politicians who were asking for "your donation" to help Haiti. However, when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in 2004, I do not recall this ever happening. This film showed me how the United States has failed to respond to the citizens of New Orleans back in 2004 and still in 2011. I am very honored to be apart of Bonner and to have the opportunity to travel down to New Orleans to give a helping hand, because these people deserve it. It is just unfortunate that they are receiving it in 2011 rather than 2004. I am both very excited and anxious to get down to New Orleans to impact someone's life and to learn about the diverse culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment