Thursday, January 6, 2011

NOLA January 2011

First off, I would like to say that I am very thankful to have the opportunity to partake in such a wonderful and meaningful trip. After I completed watching Spike Lee's When The Leeves Broke , I learned more about Hurricane Katrina and the after effects of the devastating storm had on New Orleans. I was able to see images of what happened to the homes, interviews from people born and raised in New Orleans, as well as what efforts took place in order to help fix the crisis. I learned so much more about New Orleans than I previously had known. I was also able to get a little bit more detail on the information I assumed I knew everything about. I am very passionate about children. One man spoke in the movie about wanting to stay in the town that he was born and raised in, but he didn't want to deprive his children of a childhood. It is so sad that people had to move away from a place that they've loved all their lives, but it is even worse that they won't be able to let their children experience the wonderful culture and society that they have always known. It is still surprising to me that even after almost 6 years people's lives are still being affected. I am very thankful to have this opportunity, and I can not way to go to New Orleans and help make a difference in someone's life! I will give 110% on whatever task I am given, and I am sure I will have a great time and learn a lot from this experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment