Friday, January 14, 2011

1/14/11
Today was a half day working on Booker's house. However, today is the first day that I was able to meet Booker. He was not the 71 year old that I expected. Booker was in better shape than all of us!
He is very nice and down to Earth. Booker welcomed me right into the team and started talking about the house.
The day was very short and right now we are all idle waiting for our next move. The power and heat is out in all of our apartments and everyone is coming down with a stomach flu so I am a bit scared to go into my room because I am just getting over bronchitis.

Tonight all of the Bonners, including myself, are supposed to go out to dinner and to a club that allows eighteen to enter. I am very excited to bond with everyone and to have a good time.

Overall, this trip has opened my eyes to the reality of a disaster and that it is hard to rely on people. Most of the homeowners came to United Saints only after their relief money was stolen by greedy contractors. "One Man's tragedy is another man's fortune."
United Saints has become a safe haven for these people and it is the type of organization that I would like to volunteer for someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment