Friday, January 14, 2011

A Great Birthday!

Yesterday was my 20th birthday and I have to say that I'm very happy to have spent it here in New Orleans with some great people! After everyone sang happy birthday to me in the morning (which was very nice) I along with Shaun, Alaine, Gayatri, and Jenn headed to a home that needs a lot of work. Yesterday was actually my first day working on a house as I was previously painting a mural. I'm very glad that I had the opportunity to work on a home because it's truly rewarding.

Although I was not able to meet my homeowner, I did meet Mr. Booker who is the homeowner of another house that the Bonners have been working on. Even though I only spoke to him for about 5 minutes or so, it was an amazing feeling. Mr. Booker is an energetic and postive person who is just full of happiness. He must have thanked me about 5 times for being here in New Orleans working on houses and it gave me a great feeling.

Today I worked on a different house and my job was to paint the exterior. It was a great experience because I was on 9ft ladders and that is something that I have never done before. However, once I was up there everything was okay and I was able to paint away.

I'm sad that today is our last day here, but being in New Orleans has motivated me even more to continue serving our community once I get back to New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment